Skip to main content

Copycat Jack Astor's Bruschetta

 If you guys haven't had the privilege of trying this bruschetta or a version of it then you NEED to make this. Not to toot my own horn but its delicious. I might have beat Jack Astor's at their own game. Picking a favourite recipe out of all my recipes would be like picking a favourite child. But this would be top 3 for me for sure.   

You will need a balsamic glaze (reduction) for this recipe. You can buy it (I do) or you can make your own by simply adding a good quality balsamic vinegar to a pot and simmering until the vinegar has reduced by 1/2 or 3/4. Add sweetener of your choice like honey, brown sugar, etc. I use this one. 

To start lets make an Aioli (lemony, garlicy mayo). Add 1 cup mayo to a medium sized bowl, squeeze the juice of half a lemon into mayo. Add a good amount of fresh cracked black pepper and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Mix well and place in the fridge until your bruschetta is done. I like to put mine in a squeeze bottle to make it easier to put it on the bruschetta at the end. Also this will make more than enough so you can keep it in your fridge to make more bruschetta or add to sandwiches, or even make a curry aioli by simply adding curry power to it, which may I add is an unbelievable dip for sweet potato fries.



 Now grab a medium sized bowl and dice 2 tomatoes, and 1/4 of a red onion and add to the bowl. Add 3 minced cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese. Mix together. 

Cut a few slices of baguette and toast it. I like to toast mine in a frying pan with some olive oil. You need a pretty good crust on it to avoid the bread getting soggy when you add the tomatoes.




 Once your bread is perfectly toasted remove it to a baking sheet and set your oven to broil. Top your bread with your tomato mixture and put under the broiler for just a minute or two, until you smell the onions and your feta cheese starts to look a little soft. This is really just to warm everything. Remove from the broiler and top with fresh basil. I chiffonade my basil, if you're not familiar with the chiffonade term, it's just stacking your basil leaves on top of each other, rolling them together into a tight cigar like shape then slicing it into ribbons.  Drizzle some balsamic glaze (reduction) on as well as some of the aoili we made. 


Grab a napkin because this gets messy, but it's oh so worth it.

Here is the full printable recipe for my Jack Astor's Copy Cat Bruschetta

Jack Astor's Copy Cat Bruschetta


Ingredients:
  • Balsamic glaze (reduction)
  • Aoili 
    • 1 cup mayonnaise
    • Juice of 1/2 lemon
    • Salt & Pepper
    • 3 cloves of garlic - minced
  • 2 Tomatoes (I used vine tomatoes) - diced
  • 1/4 red onion - diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic - minced
  •  1/4 cup feta cheese
  • 2 tbsp fresh basil - chiffonade
  • Fresh baguette
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt & pepper
Method:
  1. Prepare your aoili by combining all of the aoili ingredients, mix well and chill in the fridge.
  2. Add your chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic and feta cheese to a bowl, salt & pepper to taste and mix well.
  3. Slice your baguette into your desired amount of slices. (The amount of tomatoes/onions in the recipe will top about 5-6 slices of baguette)
  4. Add oil to a frying pan and toast baguettes, then place toasted baguettes on a baking sheet and set oven to broiler
  5. Top baguettes with tomato mixture and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes (just to quickly warm tomato mix)
  6. Remove from broiler and top with fresh chiffonade basil. Drizzle balsamic reduction over them as well as some aoili.
  7. Grab a napkin because it will get messy and enjoy.


Comments

  1. I need this, ..right now. For breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best bruschetta I've ever had!!! I was looking for a recipe similar to bruschetta I've had at a local restaurant, and this fit the bill!!! It is perfect. I've made it 3 times in one week and all my friends rave about it. Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Marinated BBQ Chicken Caesar Salad with Homemade dressing

Chicken marinated, grilled then paired with a delicious Caesar salad with homemade dressing.

Homemade Chicken Soup

Well it's been a week and a half and I'm still sick...everyone around me is sick too. So far food wise I've tried beef bone broth and one night desperate for some summer in my life thinking it would revive me, I sent Jay outside to chip the ice off the barbecue so I could grill steak.  Obviously food doesn't heal you, or maybe it does...what do I know. But I think it's okay to try. For example chicken soup, delicious and comforting, probably won't magically make your cold go away but, it will make me feel better while I'm eating it. To start your soup you will need a whole roasted chicken, or a whole chicken carcass. I made roast chicken last night for dinner, knowing we would only eat the breasts and I would be making soup today I cooked the chicken until the breasts were cooked, so the legs were still a bit underdone. Take either your whole chicken or the carcass and add to a large pot. Fill the pot with water to just cover the chicken. If you'r